Home | About Matt | News & Media | Email Updates | The Ledger | Contact
It appears that gun dealers across the state have received this notice (see it below) from the Washington State Patrol. If you or someone you know has received this letter, please note it my understanding this is only a formal request, but there is no legal requirement to reply.
Nonetheless, I'm very concerned with this apparent overreach of the Washington State Patrol. I have been in contact with House Republican leadership to discuss this issue. We are on top of the situation and will be sending a letter to State Patrol Chief John Batiste to request a formal response to our concerns.
I'll keep you posted.
Text of letter:
To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is to certify that Detective Juli Gundermann, #1113, is a commissioned officer with the Washington State Patrol (WSP), currently assigned to the Criminal Investigation Division.
Detective Gundermann is currently investigating a missing/stolen AR-15. In order to conduct a thorough investigation, Detective Gundernann is requesting information.
Please provide the following information:
- Any and all documents/lists of sales of any AR-15 from July 1, 2010 to present.
- Any and all documents/lists of sales of any AR-15 lower receiver from July I, 20I0 to present.
- Any and all documents/lists of sales of any AR-15 your company purchased from a private party.
- Any and all names, date of births, addresses, phone numbers, date of transaction and serial number from the purchaser.
Please provide a copy to Detective Gundermann at the following address, Washington State Patrol, Tacoma Criminal Investigation Unit, 2502 112th Street East, Tacoma, Washington 98022.
Thank you for your consideration and assistance in this matter. If you have any questions, please call Detective Gundermann at (253) 538-3176.
Captain Michael Dahl
Criminal Investigations Division
427A Legislative Building | P.O. Box 40600 | Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7984 | Toll-free: (800) 562-6000